We have now completed building the new organ for St Mary's Church, Bampton, Oxfordshire. The organ in St Marys Church was built around 1812 by William Gray and modernised in around 1870 by Gray & Davison. We have restored and reused all of the original pipework, adding new Mixtures on the swell and great, and a new Cornopean on the swell. The original casework and gold leafed front pipes have all been reused and the casework has been extended with matching panels to accommodate the new layout of the chests.
The new console, chests, bellows and wind system have all been designed and built in our factory.
The console is mobile and has several plug in points to allow for flexible worship and concerts.
Douglas J Clare Churchwarden at St Mary the Virgin Church, Bampton, Oxfordshire-
"The organ in the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin at Bampton, was made by William Gray and installed in 1812 and in the intervening years has been modified extensively. After due process, a restoration Faculty was obtained from the Oxfordshire Diocese in 2015.
Cousans Organs Limited were involved from the very beginning of the restoration process with the dismantling of the organ being carried out in 2016.
The original Faculty was superseded in 2019, following discussions with the Diocese about the scale of the work and our confirmed wish to retain the organs location in the South Transept.
The resulting organ you see here, has a remote linked console in the Nave but retains its original case and the gilded pipes, but has upgraded sound which now fills the Nave and compliments the choir.
Cousans have done an outstanding restoration project working with our Organ Consultant Paul Hale and ourselves, and the quality of their hand built, joinery work is amazing – the Church and congregation are well pleased!"